Highlights of 2002
A little belated, perhaps, but just thought I’d run down a few of the things I was thankful for in 2002…
- Wilco, “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot“. Album of the year, no matter how much fawning over Eminem the media does.
- Coldplay, “A Rush of Blood to the Head”. Was this a 2002 release? Or did it come out in 2001? Who cares? I came late to it, but DAMN if it isn’t fine.
- Mozilla 1.0 was released, and the Web got interesting again.
- Larry Lessig and Creative Commons released the Creative Commons Licenses, making it easy to share your creations with the world.
- The Sims Online brought a fun new twist on the massively-multiplayer online gaming experience.
- We got a slew of great movies; the most recent one I saw was Martin Scorsese’s long-awaited Gangs of New York, which is much, much better than the negative chatter would have you believe. (Hopefully we’ll get to see a longer director’s cut someday!)
- And Tara Sue Grubb showed me that even in its current screwed-up state, our democratic process can bring forward some remarkable individuals.
Here’s hoping that we see more stuff like this in the year to come!